Monday, June 20, 2011

One Mid-Summer Night

Date:  June 15, 2011,  Bergen, Norway,  just before midnight.
I noticed something strange.  First, I noticed it was a gorgeous night, then I realized that the chunk missing from the moon was odd.  Could it be... an eclipse?
This is more like the lighting at midnight in mid-June at 60º N latitude.
I googled it, and sure enough, it was the end of an eclipse.  Being surrounded by mountains, and the sun going down around 11 PM made this an event I almost missed.
Friday night (June 17), sunset 11:09 PM, Saturday morning (June 18), sunrise 4:09 AM.  One hour of 'night' between dusk and dawn!

1 comment:

  1. very cool! we are just (the 15th) past the full moon here, so it looked similar to yours on the weekend.

    hope the rest of your vacation goes well.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead! Tell me what's on your mind.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...