Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Maine Yarn Crawl

After teasing you with my travels, I think it's time to share the proceeds... so to speak.  
Here are some things that I didn't know would like a home in New Mexico:
First, a purchase from Halcyon Yarn.  What a wonderful experience in Bath, Maine.  Their catalog is enough to make you fall in love... but being there, and seeing and feeling.  It only makes me want MORE!  So, like a puppy wanting to sniff and nose everything, I staggered in a daze around the rooms, and I convinced myself that IF I was ever to get going on weaving, I needed a concrete plan.  And there it was...  These babies all packaged up with a pattern calling out, "Eat ME!"  And I did.

Homestead 8/2 cotton by Halcyon YarnLace / 2 ply
100% Cotton, 600 yards / 85 grams
AND I'm happy to announce that it works! I have the beginnings of towel number two on my loom today! (By the way, the Halcyon shop event was August 4th.)
Then, as knitters know, mistakes happen. Ripping out happens, and frustration, and sometimes, after repeated trials, you just can't take it anymore, and you...(Judy)... have a moment of insanity where you say to your neighbor, "Take it! I don't want it!" This happened to me, being the neighbor, and I put Judy out of her misery...NICE! Look at that color! Now, Judy, you may want it back, and as long as I haven't gotten it on needles, it's still yours! And to be fair, the color IS a bit darker than photographed, and remember, the reason you didn't like it was that it was too dark, and you "couldn't count". If you decide that the lighting at home is better than at camp, and there aren't four other chatty knitters to distract you at home, you are free to change your mind. (With the above caveat.)
Sigh!  
Light Fingering / 3 ply
45% Wool, 25% Nylon, 20% Mohair, 10% Silk
437 yards / 100 grams


The LAST purchase, and the last one for today's blog... Something I never thought I would purchase, but the "high" of Tess' Designer Yarns put me over the edge...again. THIS time, we all agreed that going to Tess' on the last day of our 9 day trip was serendipitous. We wouldn't have appreciated the other shops as much, and we wouldn't have appreciated Tess' either!
The "yarn", or rightly referred to as "ribbon" was laid out on long tables with every wonderful color... undeniably understandably making the biggest knot in my stomach... So afraid I couldn't decide which color I wanted. It's like choosing who will live or die! Even three weeks later, I still envision all of those colors laying there, calling out...
Oh, yes, this purchase: I have two skeins of dark blue, and this one with blue and green-yellow for contrast. They have patterns, and models there to show it knitted... I was a goner. Hope I can do it justice!
Sport / 5 ply  100% Nylon
333 yards / 150 grams
Note:  The patterns were knit tightly, with a small gauge.
After being in my suitcase, and handled, I hope it won't be impossible to roll into a ball.

Thanks for tuning in.  I'm off to my stash-busting!  Feel free to scold if you see me buying more yarn from September to May.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead! Tell me what's on your mind.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...