Thursday, September 9, 2010

Non-Labor Caching

I took a walk on Monday.  With Dr. Beverly Casebolt, our pooch, named after the famous Soprano Beverly Sills, and (after Monday's walk) also named after a certain up-there-in-years-walk-circles-around-you, Dr. D Casebolt.  I thought he retired 20 years ago, but every time I see him he's been "helping out" at the hospital.
Rabbit Brush in bloom, every September!
Probably 15 years ago I went on a mountain hike with Dr. C.  We were at 9-10 thousand feet elevation, and I was glad we had him nearby.  Not only was he nearby, but he stayed behind to make sure I made it without calling for an ambulance!  I can't/couldn't believe he was in such good shape.  He commented that his lung capacity was larger than normal, and I guess that's what is needed in thin air.
Monday's canyon walk
The trail started at 10,000 feet and descended into a valley to 9,000 feet. The return trip was the "gotcha"... and it got me!  After a few switchbacks, I was ready to sit down, and after a few more, I did sit down.  Dr. C was monitoring all this, and everyone else merrily traipsed up the trail. Sooner than later, Dr. C recommended that I get the full benefit of each pause by lying down, so at every switchback, the two of us would drop to the ground and lie motionless for a minute or two.  Actually, I was the one who "dropped to the ground".
Dr. Beverly Casebolt
So 15 years later, I see Dr. C walking at a racer's pace up and down the road, doing his 3 mile loop.  I've seen him walking up into the canyon that Beverly and I visited on Monday.  And since Beverly is 14 years old, deaf, half blind and still wagging her tail and sniffing everything, and doing the same 3 miles but turning it into 5 miles I think she deserves to be a DR.
What's this?  Any guesses?
Oh, yeah, and we found the cache.

1 comment:

  1. Aw...as the owner of a soon-to-be 13-year old dog, this post really touched me. May Dr. Bev walk on for many more years!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead! Tell me what's on your mind.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...