Friday, March 19, 2010

Spring is Here!



I've been reading my Norwegian bloggers and finding that they are shoveling snow, and have frozen water pipes and such.  And here in mostly sunny New Mexico (except today) we have had pleasant temperatures, the daffodils are blooming and the occasional snowstorm comes through every week. The snow slows down traffic for a few hours and then it's sunny again.  I love this place!  Snow is pretty... then it's gone.  

Our sign of Spring is seeing the cattle and their new-born dogies, horses, mini-horses, and donkeys arrive in the field behind the house.  Mamas calling babies and donkeys calling in the night are the only disturbances we hear.  (I choose to ignore the wind.)

For the past few years I've been intrigued by orchids. It makes me think of tropic scenes, and humidity. The blossom itself is so unusual with its un-concentric design. Never daring to assume that a dry NM climate could sustain them, I didn't give in to my urge to have one in my house until last May.  I bought a beautiful dark pink plant with 11 buds, and most of them open.  It made me so happy to watch it and count 13 blossoms in all. In October the last one fell off, and after a trim and a wait of 5 months, today the first new blossom opened up.  I have at least 6 more to look forward to!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead! Tell me what's on your mind.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...