Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Do-overs and NO Do-overs

  

I love to knit!  Do-overs!! Here are some of the projects I have on needles, and have waited for my return for... years!  Yellow shawl, purple pillow edging, blue spiral gauntlets, one hopeless mitten waiting to be frogged, and a blue/red sock.


I love to make music, too!  NO do-overs.  Music can be stressful.  The anticipation of somewhere down the road, next month, next week, tomorrow, of 88 keys and most of them shouldn't be touched to make beautiful music.  And there are no do-overs.  You keep on going and hope it doesn't suck.  


Last Saturday I ended up playing more than I thought. Originally I was asked to accompany a trumpeter playing the Hummel Trumpet Concerto (in E).  It's a great piece, and alas, I knew what I was getting into: Concerto means the piano part is all of the orchestral parts condensed to two hands.  It helps to be familiar with the piece which I am so I had a good feeling about what I had to play and what I could omit. (I'm NOT an orchestra, so get over it!)  I had plenty of time to prepare myself, however, life kept getting in the way (Christmas, granddaughter visit, cruise, Traveler's diarrhea) and suddenly I had one week to pull it together.  AND in that last week two other trumpeters asked for accompaniments which weren't as demanding, so I said yes.  THEN I realized I was accompanying the trumpet ensemble and a duet on organ, and voila!  I was playing half the program!  No do-overs! I was rather proud of myself--I can't say it was perfect, but it was fun, and the Hummel came out better than I had hoped.  I had to memorize some little/big passages and even though it got shaky in one spot, I didn't have to stop (and do-over) and the soloist was top-notch.  She was so familiar with the piece I couldn't trip her up.:-)  


It was stressful, and I realize it most when it's over.


The next day was my "knit like a fiend" day!

I finished 2 projects and started 2.  AHHHH!  Do-overs. This Irish pattern is a 6 month sized vest.  Celina knitted the back way back when, and now I have the pleasure of finishing it.  The Sublime Baby Cashmere Merino dk is... "Sublime"!   
Gaunlets to match a hat:  24 hour project.
Yes, I love my knitting.  Oops, a little mistake: Should I take it out, make it perfect or will my eyes be the only witness?
       This week: Nothing but knitting!  And what a perfect pile of knitting I have to choose from!  Pile #2: Adult vest (dark green), top (pink/gray), baby cardigan (pink), baby vest (tan), and socks (brown).


Maybe I'll cast on...

2 comments:

  1. You have a lot to choose from ;)
    The gray baby vest is going to be beautiful.
    And yes, moltesyltetøy is good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have knocked my wip list from 27 to 25 since I counted a week or two ago, and I've cast on 2 since then!

    There are a few that need to be frogged, too.

    glad your Day Of Accompaniment went well!
    p

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead! Tell me what's on your mind.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...